Home Granada Granada (c)
Home  Granada  Granada (c)  Español Deutsch

Andalucía
Málaga
Granada
 Granada (c)
 Route through the Old Centre
 Route through the Gothic city; El Realejo
 Route through the Gothic city; The Centre
 The Route of the water cisterns
 Route throught the Renaissance City: Historic Centre
 Route through the Renaissance city: the modern city
  
 Baza
 Píñar
 Loja
  
Jaén
Córdoba
Cádiz
Huelva
Sevilla
Almería
Sierra Morena
 
     
Extremadura
Cáceres
Badajoz
 
     
C.Valenciana
Valencia
Alicante
Castellón
 
     
R. de Murcia
Murcia
 
     
Castilla-León
Valladolid
Burgos
Soria
Salamanca
Ávila
Palencia
León
Zamora
Segovia
 
     
Baleares
Islas Baleares
 
     
Aragón
Huesca
Zaragoza
Teruel
 
     
Cantabria
Cantabria
 
     
P. Asturias
Principado de Asturias
 
     
Galicia
La Coruña
Orense
Lugo
Pontevedra
 
     
La Rioja
Logroño
 
     
País Vasco / Euskadi
Vizcaya
Guipúzcoa
Álava
 
     
Navarra
Navarra
 
     
Cataluña
Gerona
Barcelona
Tarragona
Lérida
 
     
La Mancha
Cuenca
Ciudad Real
Albacete
Guadalajara
Toledo
 
     
C.A. Ceuta
Ceuta
 
     
C.A. Melilla
Melilla
 
     
Canarias
Tenerife
Gran Canaria
Fuerteventura
La Palma
 
     
C. de Madrid
Madrid
 
     
Andorra
Andorra
 
     
 

Route through the Gothic city; El Realejo

 
The Jewish quarter before the Granada of Isabela

The Realejo, model of Granada's Jews.

The old Jewish quarter of El Realejo is the protagonist of this route which uncovers for the traveller the following landmarks: Plaza del Padre Suarez (Casa de los Tiros and ex convent of San Francisco Casa Grande); Juderia; Comendadoras De Santiago; Santa Cruz la Real; Calle de San Matias (Casa del Gran Capitan and Church of San Matias); Castle (former barracks) and the gate of Bibataubín (present council offices).

On the second of January 1492 the Catholic Kings enter Granada putting an end to almost eight centuries of Islamic occupation in the Peninsula. With Christian domination the city gives birth to a new era of splendour. In this first period, of the Catholic Monarchs, are erected the great Christian monuments in late Gothic style, now that Granada was seen as a symbol: apart from the distances, it was the new Jerusalem reconquered.

For this reason, the concern of the crown was the repopulation and the ennoblement of the former capital of the Nazarene kingdom.

Before the Christian conquest, the jews had their citadel on the left bank of the Darro. The city was identified with them to such an extent that the Moors called it "Garnata al-Yahud" or Jewish Granada. When the Christians took the city they raised the quarter to the ground and renamed it El Realejo, the name by which it is known today since it had been appropriated by the crown.

One of the most important spaces of the quarter is the splendid Campo de Principe created by the Catholic Kings to mark the marriage celebrations of their son Juan and over which soars up the church of San Cecilio constructed at the beginning of the fifteenth century.


Information

 Ayuntamiento de Granada
Milestone
1: Bibataubin.
2: Sto. Domingo y Sta. Cruz la Real.
3: Convento de las Carmelitas Descalzas.
4: Comendadoras de Santiago.
5: Casa de los Tiros.
6: Ex-convento de San Francisco.

Monuments
Iglesia de San Matías

Church of San Matías

The church has two Renaissance facades of the style of Siloé. It was built in the middle of the XVI century.

 
Iglesia de San Cecilio

Church of San Cecilio

The church, that has the name of the patron saint of the city, was built in 1540 on a mosque of Campo Príncipe.


 
Museums
Museo Casa de los Tiros

 

 
 
 
 

Copyright © 2006 Entropía Ediciones. All rights reserved. Aviso Legal