The privileged location of this municipality and the richness of its lands can be seen in its monumental richness. The Roman road that linked Cordoba with Cástulo and its Muslim castle support this exceptional location.
Between olive tree’s fields rises Bujalance, municipality of Roman origin that belongs to the High Guadalquivir of Cordoba and which privileged location made it the elected by Rome as a settlement during the construction of the road that linked Cordoba and Castulo. During the Muslim occupation, its extraordinary position induced the Caliph Abd-al-Rahmán III to build a fortress to watch the accesses to Cordoba. This castle was named Bury al-Hansh (Snake Tower), from which the name of Bujalance comes.
From the second half of the XV century, it gains some importance coinciding with the demographic increase, so it would become the Crown city, after Cordoba, with more population. In 1594 it buys its independence, obtaining the title of city in 1630.